Why Order Medication Monitoring and Drug Detection Services?
Medication monitoring and drug detection services are an effective clinical tool for healthcare professionals who need clear and reliable information about their patients’ use of prescribed medications, non-prescribed medications or the presence of any illicit substances in order to make informed clinical decisions regarding treatment.
Benefits of medication monitoring and drug detection services include:
- Results provide an objective means to determine and document whether or not a patient is taking prescribed medications and/or illicit drugs for better treatment planning
- Identification of possible drug-drug interactions
- Helping healthcare professionals identify certain forms of aberrant drug-related behavior
- Reviewing results can initiate a conversation about a patient’s mental and physical health
Why Quantify Preliminary Test Results?
Manufacturers’ instructions on in-office drug testing devices suggest subsequent quantification by a more specific method, such as Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass-Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). For quantitative testing, Millennium Laboratories exclusively uses LC-MS/MS technology for three main reasons:
- It is more sensitive, allowing for better detection of individual drugs and metabolites using a minimal volume (1-2mL useable urine) of specimen
- It is more specific (i.e. identifies both drug classes and specific drugs and metabolites within that class) than qualitative in-office immunoassay tests
- It identifies specific drugs to help manage cross-reactivity between medications
Quantitative results from Millennium Laboratories provide healthcare professionals with the most accurate information upon which to base their clinical decisions to help improve clinical outcomes and ensure patient safety.